Vegan Egg-Free Vegetable Quiche
This vegan quiche is perfect for anytime of the day and will make a great a ready-made meal option for the week. Make your own crust or use a store bought one and just follow the steps for the filling.
But how can a quiche taste like quiche without any eggs?! Well, say hello to Kala Namak, also known as sulfur salt. It mimics perfectly the taste of eggs and is truly bluffing. I used it in this recipe and also have been using it to make vegan egg/mayo sandwiches, vegan scramble or as a replacer in egg-based sauces. Now, I’m aware that you may not find it everywhere. The quiche will still taste amazing even without it. It’s just for the “egg taste” experience.
Serving: 2 people (for 2 portions of noodles or tofu etc..)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for the crust
200 g all-purpose flour
100 g vegan butter. Room temperature.
40g unsweetened apple sauce
30g warm water
1 large pinch of salt
Method for the crust
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cubed vegan butter, apple sauce and salt.
2. Knead with your hands until the dough starts to clump together. Add water gradually as you knead.
3. Transfer to a working surface and continue kneading until a smooth dough forms.
4. Flatten dough into a thick disc, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C
6. Roll out evenly on a floured surface, about 5mm thick, then transfer into a lightly greased pie dish. Shape the edges as you like and prick the bottom a few times with a fork.
7. Prebake the crust for 7-8 minutes. Place baking paper with raw rice grains (or other grains) in the middle of the pie so the dough doesn’t puff up as it prebakes.
Ingredients for the filling
300g firm tofu
100g cooked chickpeas
20g olive oil
5g kala namak salt (or regular salt)
5g nutritional yeast
3g curcuma for coloring
1/3 garlic pod (optional)
Handful of spinach
1 spring onion
Small handful parsley
Method for the filling
Preheat oven to 220°C
In a high-speed blender, mix all ingredients except vegetables. Set aside.
Peel asparagus and chop into 4-5cm pieces. Stir fry in a pan with finely chopped garlic and olive oil. Cook until lightly golden.
In a bowl, gently mix all filling ingredients together then transfer to prebaked crust and even out with a spatula.
Cook for 17 minutes at 220°C or until golden on top. As a test, prick the quiche with a toothpick: if it comes out clean, then the quiche is ready.* This also depends on the thickness of your quiche. It might take a little longer if your baking pan in smaller and so your quiche filling will be thicker and longer to cook.
Take out of the oven and top with vegan ricotta (optional) and herbs. Let cool off for 5-10min then enjoy!
Can be kept covered and refrigerated for up to a week.